Thursday, July 10, 2008

Selamat malam Jakarta

I have made it to Jakarta after only 14 hours worth of flying time from London. All said it wasn't that horrible; Singapore Airlines has excellent service even in economy and tons of movies or tv shows to watch.
Jakarta is a bit different from what I expected; it is more developed and somewhat cosmopolitan as some have said. The traffic however is very much like the traffic in India although it is a bit more organized and there are a handful of actual traffic lights. Similar to India it does take about 30-45 minutes to drive about 3 miles.
The place I'm staying is a very nice boutique hotel which kind of reminds me a bit of a W hotel in the states. I figured I would take a quick shot of my living area along with the rooftop outdoor pool which overlooks the Kemang Raya area of Jakarta. Although one of the best feature of the room is that it is wired with speakers that are hooked up to an iPod loaded with various kinds of music (it is very relaxing and GREAT). Below are some pictures from my room/balcony...

I started my first day in the field today and everyone was very friendly and I am looking forward to working with everyone from the Indonesian offices. I have yet to have any authentic Indonesia food but I look forward to trying some soon; it seems the area I am staying is catered to many ex-pats so there are lots of Italian, India, Pizza joints and Starbucks to go around.

No comments: