Sunday, July 13, 2008

Malls and Spas

So the title of this blog is very fitting; after spending a weekend in Jakarta I have learned that it consists of Malls and Spas. This is apparently everyone's initial reaction when you ask them what there is to do in Jakarta.
My first weekend here has pretty much consisted of shopping, getting a massage, eating and drinking so I guess a fairly typical weekend here and similar to what I might be doing in SF if I were home. I did get to try some authentic Indonesian food as well as some Malaysian Roti (which was Delicious and I recommend if anyone gets a chance!).
I actually like the local beer which is Bintang; it is very similar to Amstel light. Last night I went to a bar that had a local band playing. About half the songs were cover songs for Indonesian bands in Bahasa (which is the most commonly used language here) and the other half were American songs sung in English. They were actually pretty good and the crowd was really into the music so it was a fun atmosphere.
Today I finally ventured outside my little hotel bubble and met up with some ex-pats (thanks Alex!) who have been living in Jakarta for about 2 years now. It was great to talk with people about all the things to do/see and the best place for a massage (which for 1 hour can be anywhere from $5 - $30).
Well that is all for tonight... except that I have learned one phase in Bahasa so far - terima kasih which means thanks so....terima kasih and good night!

4 comments:

Kasey and Steve said...

Nice work finding a place to get a cheap massage...VERY key! And malls with "US stores"? Could be extremely dangerous for you...

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are on your feet and going. Cheap massages sounds like heaven to me. Have you found any good spots or trail to get a good run in? Take care look forward to hear more.

Anonymous said...

I love the shout out- Thanks! Let me know if you want to meet up in Thailand, etc. I'll be in DXB later this month as well.

Hilary said...

I really hope you got a happy ending for that price