Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Wadi Rum

So I spent the my last weekend in Jordan at Wadi Rum which has been a recommended spot to visit while in Jordan. I had been told by multiple people in Jordan that it was a must do while I was here....so I figured I would save the best for last. I will admit that it was pretty nice even for the short period of time we got spend there. I went down with my co-worker and Hilary's friend Stacy.We took off early Friday morning from Amman and managed to get to Wadi rum in 3.0 hours (usually a 4 hour drive) and one speeding ticket later (that was after being pulled over 3 previous times and let off since we weren't from Jordan). So we went around Wadi Rum in a SUV and checked out all the famous spots in the dessert, pulled over a couple of times to hike up some mountains, they apparently don't care if you fall and kill yourself here, they let you do pretty much anything without any equipment. After all that we went to this Bedouin camp site where we had a fire and they cooked us a really good dinner. It was just the three of us staying at the camp site so we had the run of the little tent area which was super cool. We drank about 10 glass of Jordanian tea which is a black tea with LOTS of sugar in it. They actually boil the sugar with the water first and then add the tea leaves. After all that we crashed out under the stars which was pretty amazing.

The next morning we found a horse ranch and went horse backriding around the area, it was really beautiful and I am happy to say that my many years of lessons came in handy. It all came back to me and i was able to ride around the place, it was pretty amazing. Sooo sad to say but that was my last weekend in Jordan and now i'm off to Bangkok and Indonesia...more later

No comments: